The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 50 made on Wednesday November 21, 2012 at 14:35
kmlingenfelter
Long Time Member
December 2008
In working a problem I've been having recently with live update (see post "Help CCP update fails"). I read this email and it brought memories from years ago when I purchased my first MX 980, I now have 2. The same old stuff went on then. I'm a hobbyist and an old timer engineer. I actually went over to the dark business side some years ago and run a small corporation now. Anyway I do this for fun. Paying a programmer is not in the cards. I'm also an incurable audio/videophile and constantly am upgrading my equipment. Getting it into the remote and tinkering is the whole point. The second unit is for my wife's home theater so she doesn't need to deal with my constant fiddling with the programming, the MX 980 is great for this. Paying a programmer is beside the point. I know there are many dumb engineers out there but they have every right to screw it up on their own. I've also met many audio/video installers, some good, some very bad. Getting the software for a "legit" owner hobbyist though is a problem for fans of URC equipment and I feel for those who are having trouble. My first MX 980 was purchased from Myer Emco an upscale audio/video dealer and the only URC dealer in the Washington DC area at the time. They are now bankrupt, so getting "legit" software from them is out. And URC in the past has left customer such as us in the lurch. Procuring this original software from Myer Emco was also an amusing and confusing process . Myer Emco recommended the unit to me because the sales representative was a big fan. After I purchased it I found out from this forum that the software was not available to "hoi palloi" like me, and Myer Emco was not clued in at all. After much confusion and rigmarole they finally gave me their dealer pass word to get the software. I was a very good customer and keeping me happy was important to them. They insisted that URC had never trained or informed them of this policy. Of course, this avenue to up dated software is now unavailable.
In this case the problem I had was I with a newly re-installed CCP onto Windows Ultimate 7 which also was a reinstall (due to virus problems). The old version of CCP I was using would install but not upgrade when first installed. Finally after this Windows version upgraded to service pack 1 several days after the original windows install the CCP software would not install at all. The newly downloaded version of CCP retrieved from my legit new dealer for the second MX980 worked fine. So without access to software we hobbyists can be screwed. The access to download torrents and such are our only choice. I've read Mr. Darnital posts many time in years past and understand his comments about stealing software but without the second "legit" dealer I would be hunting down torrent sites for the software. By the way the link above produced nonsense for me just some stupid video. Just Duct Tape's Joke? If so I fell for it and tried the post, needing to try a newer "cleaner" version for this install.

Hosting Services by ipHouse