The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Saturday October 27, 2012 at 09:18
Craig Aguiar-Winter
September 2002
Hey everyone.

I installed a friend's system a few years ago. In the system he was using a non-HDMI receiver. He bought on his own, because he has a bunch of buddies who swear by it, a Monoprice 4x4 HDMI Matrix so he could run his HDMI sources to his main TV and TVs in two other rooms. I set that up for him at that time and it was working fine for a couple of years.

A couple of months ago he calls me wanting to make the jump to an HDMI receiver. I installed an Onkyo TXNR-616 into the system. He still wanted the TVs in the other rooms to work so I ran his PS3, Apple TV, and Cable box into the 4x4. From there I went out to the receiver, and the other TVs. The receiver's monitor output went out of the receiver, back into the switch. This allowed his wife to use the TV without the surround sound system.

Any how it's been working fine for a few months. He calls me a couple of weeks ago and there is no picture to the TV but there is still sound out of the receiver. Over the phone I did some trouble shooting. All TVs out of the switch were working fine if I set it to go direct from a source to the TV, bypassing the receiver. Only when we tried to go through the receiver did we get no video. I decided the receiver was the issue so I suggested a processor reset. It worked. He got the picture back so that confirmed it was a receiver issue. Problem solved.... until last night when he called me again with the same problem.

Because it's redundant, I suggested he go direct from the receiver to the TV without looping through the 4x4 switch. I've had problems in peoples' Monoprice electronics before so I thought I would take it out of the receiver - TV signal chain.

That being said, the switch never caused problems before, and even now, the problem went away when I bypassed the receiver and was still using the switch to all of the TVs. Even thought it's Monoprice, I don't think it's the switch.

My friend hasn't replied back to me yet with the result of the bypass (which could take a couple of weeks like last time), and I sent an email to Onkyo. Because a processor reset was needed to fix it I think it's the receiver. I did a firmware update when I first installed it and it worked fine for a few months so that shouldn't be a problem.

My biggest fear is that I'll bring it back to my wholesaler and they won't exchange it. It goes back to Onkyo and they "test it" for a couple of hours and it checks out "OK" and send it back, only to have the problem re occur after a few weeks.

Anyone have any input as to what the problem could be?

Thanks again,

Craig
My wife says I can't do sarcasm. She says I just sound like an a$$hole.

Hosting Services by ipHouse