Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7,387 made on Saturday September 22, 2012 at 11:18
SB Smarthomes
July 2007
On September 21, 2012 at 13:22, Terrmul said...
Thanks for the kind words guys. Here's a quick rundown of what went into this:

The mount was designed by me and Michael O'Kelly of OK Design. He is an ex-Disney imagineer and currently our cabinet maker but he works in other mediums too. I'm gonna say 90% of the coolness is him. 90% of the BS that led to the client thinking this was gonna be easy was me.

The concrete pillar is a support pillar in a high rise and is post-tensioned so no drilling deep.

We strapped the column with the two steel bands and some spacers to keep the two bands equidistant. This enabled us to be very secure with only some short screws to hold position during mounting.

The mount travels on four specialty wheels we ordered from Germany, super strong and durable but also very quiet, even against metal. They are angled in slightly to meet the circumference of the rail.

Those four wheels form a square that travels on the two steel rails to which is attached a Chief PAC400 rotation adapter. (This allows the TV to rotate from landscape to portrait.)

Just to make things fun, the window frames, which jut out a good 3-4" are within an inch at the top and bottom of the height of the TV to allow the TV to rotate far enough back to hide it. In other words, once fully rotated to hiding position the TV fits snuggly within the window recess.

The cables and power come up the back of the pillar in snakeskin. They are positioned so that when the TV is rotated the cable folds under its own weight. The noisiest thing in the whole assembly is the snakeskin movement.

All in all about $10K in install labor, parts, design.

Here's a down and dirty iphone vid, pre-tv install:

[Link: flickr.com]

Thanks for the additional info... really nice work!

The video is well done too.  I've done a few videos to show clients the operation of TV & Art lifts, sliding racks and hidden bookcases but they're not very good: ?feature=mhee

I lack the charisma you have to get in the video and make it more interesting.
www.sbsmarthomes.com
Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Hosting Services by ipHouse