The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 36 made on Wednesday August 29, 2012 at 22:23
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On August 29, 2012 at 21:51, highfigh said...
If anyone ever kills the heavy cable coming from the pole to a house, like a local landscaper's helper did yesterday, UHF connectors work.

Regading the comment on impedance two posts ago, see this about the UHF connector from Wikipedia:

Despite the name, it is rarely used in commercial applications for UHF frequencies as the non-constant impedance (the impedance drops to 30-40 Ω for a cm or so in the central region of the connector) means they create significant reflections above 300 MHz

That's worse than any suck-out, and yes, it will work.

This happened about 60' from the demarc box and T-W ran the cable diagonally from the pole, across the yard, turned left and went up right next to the meter box. Why they didn't go straight to the same point, I don't know- it would have been a direct path. Anyway, it seemed logical that the landscaper told his helper where to dig for the concrete pad that's being poured for a shed, thinking that the cable wouldn't be there. It was also laid on top of the soil, just under the sod. Two freaking inches deep! Then, the cable guy showed up today and acted like a dick.

There's a number to call before digging, and some places even put up bulletin boards. It's 811 or www.call811.com/. Maybe the cable guy was a dick because he's a dick AND he had to do this service call that might have been avoided.

Anyway, I was called to see if I could make a temporary connection until today because everyone in the house is addicted to cable and the internet. I made the connection (screw-on ferrule and soldered center conductor- haven't seen this kind of cable since C-band) and when I went inside, all of the cable channels worked, including HD and the internet connection worked with good speed. I didn't do a connection speed test but everything went from page to page as well as I could have hoped for.

Carry on, Montescue.

The public business must be carried on with a certain motion, neither too quick nor too slow.

From The Spirit of The Laws, Montesquieu, 1748. I LOVE it when someone here makes me look something up and learn!
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse