Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 34 made on Wednesday August 29, 2012 at 21:23
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Hello, j3comm.

Please tell us how you came to comment on this thread. I'm dying to know just how it is that almost every new member manages to dredge up a conversation so old that it probably doesn't matter any more. We who have been here for a while see this over and over. What doesn't the new person know that makes them not notice how old the conversation is?

Did you read Post 32 and notice that the original issue is more than six years old?

Of course, it just hit me that we here feel we are in conversations in the present tense, needing information right away rather than for the ages. Maybe the new member feels differently about it.

Anyway, welcome, but some people here will get ticked off at you if you bring a lot of old threads back to life.

Meanwhile, since you took the time:

We're all trying to read here and understand your points. Please take the time to capitalize the first word of each sentence. The occasional paragraph break is welcome, too.  Please don't think I'm being hard on you -- just look at how others behave here, and join in!

On August 29, 2012 at 20:35, j3comm said...
first of all did you put your own connectors on the cable if so are they store bought twist on, are they crimp, are they compression?

First of all, did you put your own connectors on the cable?  If so, are they store bought?  Twist-on?  Crimp? Compression?

have any of the service call techs pulled the wall plates and checked the fittings, do they have suck outs?

Ever since I heard a cable tech talk about the danger of suck-outs, I've being dying for a rigorous explanation of what they are, what they do, and how bad they can be without bothering anything. I have found that when the dielectric is not fully seated (AKA a suck-out), the system works just fine, but the connector is not mechanically as strong as it should be. Yes, that tiny space is not 75 ohms impedance, but speaking practically, I've not seen a problem.  They are to be avoided but rarely can be blamed for anything.

have they checked for kinks in the cable? when you ran you own cable did you step on it in the attic? Did the die-electric get crushed?

Die-electric. That's a good one.  RG6 is so large that kinks are almost impossible not to notice.  If someone has missed a kink, they are likely so clueless that they should be banned from the job or closely supervised.

If you change the ohms on coax it is ruined, coax must be 75 ohms.

Ohms as you use it is called impedance. Calling it ohms is like saying PSI when you want to talk about pressure. Pressure is the general concept, PSI the exact number and units. Coax can withstand being stepped on, too.

you could have good signal despite all these potential problems.

Absolutely. In fact, you WILL have good signal despite these potential problems.  If they are potential, by definition they are not actual problems at this time.

another problem is you do not know if your provider is all digital, are they analog? this creates more questions. i know i know. you are thinking it is digital because i have a dct.

Wait -- how do we know what you have?  I'm thinking you mean a cable box that's a DCT something, right?

not true. too many varying factors for you average diy cable guy. Cable is no longer just hooking shit up. it has become much more than that. feel free to ask away i will answer your questions.

Thank you!
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse