The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 23 made on Thursday August 16, 2012 at 09:31
TwistedMelon
Long Time Member
December 2004
On August 15, 2012 at 21:26, cma said...
A: Due to the complexity of URC components and its programming, we do not include a programming manual or software with our product. URC does not distribute its software publicly. Any unauthorized dealer who claims that they can supply you with the programming software has probably stolen it. We train authorized URC dealers directly in order to ensure the best experience for you the customer. "

First, this FAQ is about UNAUTHORIZED dealers/sellers, so the topics within it only apply to UNAUTHORIZED (grey market) sales.

That said, this is in direct contradiction to the manual included with the 880 and 980. It's also in contradiction with the actions or URC. Again, because this FAQ is about UNauthorized dealers - the situation is different for Authorized dealers.

The only thing that makes the software difficult at all to use are the bugs, poor design and especially poor official documentation. There are a large number of "consumers" who are able to overcome these deficiencies and program their own remotes quite happily. I'd wager many, especially those with a programming background, even better than many/most trained URC installers.

I respect URC's right to distribute their line how they see fit, but I don't appreciate the double-talk and voodoo-like veil being cast over it. Just be honest and clear about the dealer protection system that's in place. This includes telling end-customers that if their dealer goes out of business they will be left holding a paperweight. :) And of course that as an end-customer, unlike most of other possessions one may "own," they don't truly own a URC remote since they're not allowed to resell it, and that any potential future buyer would be getting only a paperweight.

Last edited by TwistedMelon on August 16, 2012 10:49.
https://TwistedMelon.com - Mira & Manta IR - Remote Control Your Apps

Hosting Services by ipHouse