The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 28 made on Friday July 27, 2012 at 12:46
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On July 13, 2012 at 13:38, TwistedMelon said...
...If you make $1000 in a day from setting up a URC remote,

You don't seem to be able to count to four. Look at the thread title again:

Will hire you to program my URCs, 2 5000s and 2 1200s a msc400 and mrx1.

On July 13, 2012 at 20:57, punter16 said...
"Any installers moonlighting?"

That quote evokes images of someone trying to get something done for a cheaper price than they would if they were dealing with these same installers that weren't moonlighting. Soooo...he's trying to save some bucks.

Exactly my thought: he doesn't want an actual installation company to do this. Instead, he wants someone who probably has agreed to bring new customers to the company he works for NOT to bring him to that company, but to do the work on the side. "Moonlighting."

As I see it, this pretty much kills the rest of any argument you might have about the negative response here.

Would you have a problem if this individual didn't buy these remotes new? As an owner of these products bought from authorized dealers, are customers not allowed to resell them? Seriously, who's on the soap box?

Customers are allowed to resell them, and if they do not disclose that the buyer cannot get service, then they've cheated the buyer. I'm sure that happens all the time. The fact that you don't like the idea does not stop it from happening.

In all fairness, IANAL, but I'd also like to see URC weasel out of state and federal warranty laws due to where a person purchased their products. Now I'm not so upset, because I'm chuckling.

They can indeed state the conditions under which they will honor the warranty! What you say implies that no manufacturer has any control, via refusal to perform warranty work, on gray market goods. That no manufacturer can say "there are no legitimate sellers of our product via the internet, so we will not honor warranty on any goods bought via the internet." Yet they do.

And I'll repeat, whatever your feelings are, these kinds of posts are sure to rub others the wrong way as well, including potential customers. As a business person if you're not out to win business, you should at least avoid damaging future prospects. I've never seen anyone hang a sign that reads "we don't need your business" - probably for a reason.

You know, people are rubbed the wrong by, say, syphilis, or maybe death, but they still need to know about it. Bad feelings are a stupid excuse for not speaking the truth. Your potential customers should be told the truth -- the company, URC, can help professional installers to know how to program these devices, but if sales and programming were opened up to everyone (I know, not exactly what you propose), help calls to URC would be overwhelming. Do you want URC to stay in business to perform the warranty service you want to guarantee? Then don't interfere with their business model. They allowed their stuff to be available to everyone years ago and it nearly killed them.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse