The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Wednesday June 13, 2012 at 12:30
Tom Ciaramitaro
Loyal Member
May 2002
Although this is an old thread, I am reviving it to highlight the fact that if you plan to do internet radio with Onkyo/Integra and a KP4000, you had better test it in your shop before even SPECing it.

I have spent countless hours and for me it is no good. I am perfectly willing to admit that it's me if you can prove it. But...

For starters, I used an Onkyo TX-NR509 as a preamp/switch for several sources into a whole house power amp. I tried to access internet radio on it and display it on 3) KP4000s around the house.

First off, there is disagreement whether any discrete commands exist for Pandora and SiriusXM, which I needed for this client. Brian at Onkyo says they were all sent over to URC. No database I tried had working commands, although commands were LISTED in the database (I think I had to use the 609 to even find the commands).

So, with no working discrete commands, my macros for those two key sources were basically "net radio", arrow down umpteen times and hit select; there was no discrete command for hope and pray, otherwise I would have included it. Keeping in mind these are not normal inputs, the reliability of the macro depended on whether the receiver was connected and active on the net; if you were unlucky, it would "initialize" (connect); by that time, your macro was long since done. Add delays? What, a 30 second delay? Right.

With the wasted hours already in double digits, I sorta had them working and displaying on the KP4000s. But, if Pandora was playing and you selected it on another keypad, it might disconnect or it might take you to Pandora Stations, and not go to Now Playing. You had to hit your station that was already playing, which usually DID cause a pause before music would restart.

Long story short, this is not an application ready for anyone but a patient hobbyist. After assuming that these two companies would have it together, I will probably put in Sonos as a source to get RELIABLE Pandora and Sirius. I also get the privilege of doing this out of pocket, since my solution was junk and the client has already gotten his craw full of a completely unreliable package.

If you are even thinking about this - try it in the shop before proceeding. Maybe the newer series Onkyo/Integras are better.

I found little willingness to problem solve on URCs part. Multiple unanswered emails. They are usually pretty helpful, but not on this one.
There is no truth anymore. Only assertions. The internet world has no interest in truth, only vindication for preconceived assumptions.

Hosting Services by ipHouse