The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Sunday June 3, 2012 at 22:56
zeke7
Lurking Member
August 2008
Can anyone direct me to where to find a reasonably priced IR remote that can be programmed to transmit any manner of standard Windows keyboard keystroke-combinations, I mean such standard combinations as as Ctrl-W to close a tab or window (as opposed to the global Alt-F4 command that closes the entire program), or Ctrl-+/- to increase/decrease the displayed font size in a window, or Alt-Tab to simply switch open windows?

I have three identically programmed venerable Sony RM VM-700 IR learning remotes that am fairly in love with, situated in various corners of my abode for convenience, and want to program the above signals onto their buttons to be picked up by a standard USB IR receiver. Have found some cheap-enough remotes on Amazon that provide basic functionality such as mouse navigation and closing/opening windows (e.g., "PC Remote Controller", "Vista Remote Control"), but none have provided the needed versatility documented above. (They typically offer four colored "hot buttons" that allow for programmable launching of programs via a shortcut-"shortcut", but not programmable keystroke combinations.)

Am running a non-WMP-oriented Windows 7 HTPC on a large monitor, and routinely do things like browse google-news from a distance using the handheld Sony universal remotes to open/close/switch windows in a mobile manner from various locations without being chained to a keyboard & mouse. My need is to increase the Sony remotes' functionality to transmit whatever manner of keyboard-shortcut keystroke-combinations that may be desired.

Can anyone recommend a lower-end IR remote that provides such programmable functionality? The intent is to get said keysoke-combos programmed into that, then relay them onto the Sony learning remotes for daily use. Is a $100+ Logitech Harmony unit my only option? If so, which of their several models provides such Windows-keyboard programmability?

Surely I can't be the only one with such needs these days, but am having a hard time finding a forum of similarly minded folk. Any informed answers are duly appreciated; thanks much.

Hosting Services by ipHouse