Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Tuesday May 29, 2012 at 19:18
gmc911
Lurking Member
May 2012
Hi,

I would like to control basic functions (on/off, volume, sources) of the MCA-C3 via small, cheap, replacable 10$ IR remotes (much like this) WITHOUT having to use/buy the keypads. Reducing wall clutter is one reason, designer switches that don't match their design is the other one.  

Russound confirmed that if push comes to shove, I can use the Aux IR input of the keypads, run my own IR receiver to the different zones (just have a small dot somewhere in the suspended ceiling) and simply leave the keypads stowed away somewhere, but since they're 100$ each, that would be quite a waste. 

If you have any suggestions enabling me to use multiple simple IR remotes (planning to just have 10 of them lying around, so 1 is always near), please share them. I'm aware that there is an Iphone app, but that is exactly what I am not looking for. Power, volume and source has to be controllable without "sophisticated" remotes. Just take the nearest remote, point to the zone IR and press the volume button. No need to think about which zone you're in, or which combination of buttons you need to press, or which of the 10 remotes is in your hand right now. 

That's basically the gist of it.

If you're interested, I'll just quickly summarize the rest of the set-up, which might or might not make it clearer why we want to do it like this. Feel free to skip.

Media Source: PC with 2x HDMI out and 6x Stereo audio out
Software: Jriver, multi-zone control with android or ios apps
A/V distribution: 3x8 HDMI Switch/Splitter connected to Russound via MyroBridge; Russound MCA-C3

So in this setup, the keypads are really not necessary, and really, neither is controlling the russound via an app. For everyday use, main application will most likely be, that 1 Audio channel runs on TV, 5 on some playlists or internet radio and the user can simply switch around with the simple remote. If he/she wants to manipulate the source, the Jriver app on a tablet or phone, or one of the 8 HDMI outputs can be used with a keyboard. 

I'm open to any suggestion that saves the 600$ I would need for those keypads, just for them to route through the IR. 

Hosting Services by ipHouse