Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Thursday May 10, 2012 at 22:36
SB Smarthomes
July 2007
On May 10, 2012 at 14:05, 3PedalMINI said...
I didn't think about using an actual outdoor speaker and just have it installed in the wall. I was thinking In-Wall speaker that is weather resistant but i really like the outdoor speaker recessed into the wall. Also, have a faux painter come out and paint the speakers so they're not a sore thumb :)

Just curious, what happens when the chlorine that evaporates off the pool surface corrodes the speaker? how do you replace it if its mortared into the wall? maybe you can have the mason just do a thin coat around it that could be easily chipped out when the day comes that it needs to be replaced.

On May 10, 2012 at 18:33, Mr. Stanley said...
Could they rough in an enclure (that is rust proof) the the speaker enclosure could slide into, so when the speaker rots to hell in 5 years you could do an easy transplant?

Spoke to the landscape designer this afternoon and things have already changed.  Speakers won't be in the stone wall under the waterfall, but instead build into the side of some steps that come down on each side of the pool.  Probably a better solution and gets the speakers a little more distance from the pool, but will still be set in stone.

I've done this a few times and I think the oldest speakers are around 4-5 years old now without any issues.  If the drivers or grill get rotted, it's easy enough to swap them out from the front and there's really not much to go bad with the plastic enclosures unless the speaker wire termination gets corroded and funky on the back.

If needed, the speakers really wouldn't be that difficult to chisel out and replace.  When I've done this before, the masons have built a wooden box the size of the speaker and kept that in place while building the wall. Once the wall was complete I brought out the speakers and they just filled in around them so they aren't really stuck in there that good.
www.sbsmarthomes.com
Santa Barbara Smarthomes

Hosting Services by ipHouse