The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 30 made on Tuesday April 10, 2012 at 12:52
39 Cent Stamp
Elite Member
May 2007
On April 10, 2012 at 12:34, Ernie Gilman said...
If I follow this correctly, you take four out of eight wires and crimp them into a connector. You can't use the strain relief properties of the connector, because there's not enough room in the connector to get the other four wires (cut short) and the jacket inside it. This is not a reliable method, especially when this splice is done at the telephone end -- the client can easily move the phone here to there while using it, stressing that non-standard connection.

I use 6 pin EZ connectors. Only 2 wires are cut short but they and the jacket are pulled tight into the connector. There is zero issue with strain relief.

How difficult is doing it right?

Right is a relative term. Imagine this conversation when the first automobile rolled off the assembly line and people were discussing the right way to get from one town to the next.

I have been with the same company now for over a decade. About 7 years ago we created a standard for our company that has every Cat5 or Cat6 cable being terminated as 568A at the wall plate and at the rack. So far i have only done 1 full system upgrade that allowed me to take advantage of this and boy oh boy did it save me some time. Phast to Crestron.

I was able to go to each room and simply disconnect everything. I didnt have to re-terminate anything or take wall plates out of the walls. I just had to create new pig tails. So some of the RJ45 jacks that were previously used for the old Panasonic phone system are now being used for access points. An old TV location is the new cordless phone base station location. The office that had 4 ethernet jacks now has 1 with an 8 port switch and the other 3 jacks are used to add a TV to the room.
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse