Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 40 made on Tuesday April 10, 2012 at 02:12
Fiasco
July 2009
On April 9, 2012 at 22:28, cpchillin said...
You wanna know what EVERY UAW worker I ever met says about working for UAW? Best job they ever had. I know one guy that's been with Chrysler for over 30yrs and he loves the union but knows it needs to go. The stories I've heard from him about idiots and what they've done and not been fired would piss off most people.

Working in an auto plant sucked ass. It's a special kind of mundane hell where an hour is an eternity. It is, without a doubt, the most miserable job I have ever had. If the job was so fantastic why did less then 50% of the 220 people I hired in with (april 3rd 1995) make it past the first two years? The simple fact was that many people simply couldn't tolerate the work.

Any time you have a facility with 3000 employees, there's going to be idiots that make an impression on everyone, and those are the stories that get told.

What's makes for the best stories here? The f'd up jobs. Shit, I got to take a picture of this f'd up rack and post it on Remote Central! Holy cow look what those geek squad morons did!

Let's be honest MOST of the time the union scale is way too high. There's no way an 18yr old with 3 months job experience should be making $20pr hr, or more.

Except an 18yr old with 3 months job experience doesn't make $20pr hr (or more). It takes years to get to scale and that's if you can make it past TPT/EPT status. I knew people who worked for a decade at TPT status before they got their time in and then waited more years to get to scale.

Not from what I've read.

News/Information is a neat thing. People seek out information that confirms their personal bias.

|The plants in SC aren't worried about the unions at all. The laws down there almost prohibit unions. It's not like the Honda plant is going to lose employees to GM in Detroit.

Honda pays a competitive wage that removes the incentive to unionize.

Hmm it's kinda funny that Chrysler was "killing" with their per-vehicle profits with vehicles that had spotty reliability and poor initial quality. Daimler did a lot to hurt Chrysler but seriously how long could they keep paying insane pay rates and having to pay pensions on insane pay rates without going under?

And yet, there they were making money hand over fist. Daimler didn't hurt Chrysler, Daimler flat out stripped the company. There have been books written specifically on the subject (I know, you heard from a friend of a friend who knew a guy that was UAW).

That fact of the matter was, Chrysler was paying those wages and making incredible profits doing so. Enough that they could pay out 250-280 million in profit sharing to employees a year.

As far as reliability/quality a line level worker has almost no control over quality which is dictated by the parts. Let me know when you build a killer rack with walmart house brands....

Last edited by Fiasco on April 10, 2012 02:30.
Pump House on Facebook: [Link: facebook.com]

Hosting Services by ipHouse