The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 36 made on Monday April 9, 2012 at 22:45
cpchillin
Select Member
September 2007
On April 9, 2012 at 21:30, Hasbeen said...
When we get into debates like this, I seem to notice a common thread.  Typically the people that are "pro" union come from the Midwest where for the last 100 years, our friends and relatives have dealt with Unions, minimum wages, etc.  

The people who are against unions typically have never been in a large union, and don't live in major manufacturing areas, like the Midwest.  

I'm not saying there aren't exceptions, so let's not get into that debate.  

It's interesting to me though.

Make no bones about it, Stamp was right.  If there weren't/aren't unions. You'll be treated like Chinese labor.  

Someone made a comment about 13% of the workforce in unions, I don't know if that's correct, and don't care.  But here's why people who aren't in unions benefit from unions.  Unions set and maintain the standard.  Corporations know what employees of X union get paid.  If they don't want a Union shop, they pay as close to X as they can.  

Minimum wage was started in the U.S because corporations in chicago were abusing their workers in sweat shops.  

There are people in Government trying to get rid of unions, and the minimum wage.  Every year it pops up on the news here and there.  Whether it will happen or not  I don't know. I certainly hope not.  

We know they're trying to get rid of unions.  

Then where will you be?  

Make no bones about it, Unions are the only reason why we're not slave labor.   People fought and died fighting for the unions in Detroit and the US.  

Think about that.  Actually died.

If they didn't think it was important, why would they be willing to die to get it?  

I was in the Steamfitters union local 486. When the unions were started we needed them. Not so much now. The standards that you speak of are nonsense. Most union people I've been around know that they can't be fired so their standards are crap. Where do you think the term "good enough for government work" came from? Union guys.

Let me tell you a great little story about unions. 100% true and easily proven. With the Steamfitters you'd have guys collecting unemployment while going on vacation. They'd also turn down work in order to keep collecting unemployment and wait on a job that would last longer, a contract for 6 months work instead of a month. My direct boss was an alcoholic that would literally get the shakes if he didn't have a drink by 3:30pm. The big bosses knew how he was and knew that he treated the guys under him like shit but he had been with the union for 20-some years and they were letting him fly under the radar til he retired.

As for people fighting and dying many other people have fought and died for things like having slaves and killing Jews for two quick example. Does them dying for it make it right?
Who says you can't put 61" plasmas up on cantilever mounts using toggle bolts? <---Thanks Ernie ;)

Hosting Services by ipHouse