Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 20 made on Monday April 9, 2012 at 08:59
Audible Solutions
March 2004
But the "Mavens" that Gladwell writes about and which are the subject of research are not in the "employ" of anyone. This doesn't mean that manufacturers do not wish to use the data they've amassed about how "mavens" influence people to deceive. One of the key differences is that "Mavens" are real people whom you know, not merely names on web sites. But in a decentralized world social media does become a force driving sales. Research supports the idea that you will buy products your "friends" use It is the idea behind Spotify letting your friends know what you're listening to as they know it will influence what you purchase.

Mavens are people you meet every day. They are not just anonymous folks you do not know on web sites or they will be people who you "know" from sites like this one with whom you come to know over time. Fake reviews work. We do want some "expert" to recommend the best product. We seem to know instinctively that there are differences. "Mavens" make it their business to learn what is best and industry has learned to exploit the need in consumers to be told what to buy. Gladwell suggests that both "connectors" and "mavens" both have the ability to attract people. They are liked and their opinions matter more than other's. What you are speaking to is how manufacturers and retailers use this "data" to confuse us into believing the disinterested opinions found on social media or Amazon are in fact fake and very much the product of interested parties.

There may be much pseudo-science in Gladwell's writings but I've enjoyed all of his books. I've found his arguments very convincing and I'd recommend his books to everyone.  See, a disinterested opinion and were I viewed as a Maven one that would drive Gladwells sales. But to be a "Maven" you need to be liked and have your opinion respected and believed. It is not merely expertise but the ability of these few, rare individuals to influence purchasing decisions.
"This is a Christian Country,Charlie,founded on Christian values...when you can't put a nativiy scene in front fire house at Christmas time in Nacogdoches Township, something's gone terribly wrong"

Hosting Services by ipHouse