Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 18 made on Monday April 9, 2012 at 08:18
Audible Solutions
March 2004
On April 9, 2012 at 01:11, gwilly said...
Shucks, I'm that guy who calls tech support and they've never heard of "that problem" before...........and I've given plenty of constructive comments. I once called about a bad jar of mayonnaise, all I got was some coupons for free product.

I feel left out that I've never been offered to enroll in a maven program, I feel I should be compensated for my comments and suggestions.

Sorry, tech support calls are not define a "Maven". With Passover this week there are very few of the major brands in the cupboard. However, on a Domino Sugar box there is: Questions or Comments Call 1800 XXX-YYYY. Most of us have never noticed this number or only called that number if the product was defective.? Mavens will call and make constructive comments, not merely call to complain about a defective product.They will also will organize protests of products they think are dangerous or problematic--and most importantly, they get people to follow them.

Gladwell does not go past this one item of how companies find Mavens by putting a phone number of their products. I'm sure there are other factors that leads a company to define the caller as a Maven as separate from a consumer calling to complain about a spoiled product. Mavens are popular. That excludes me immediately. Through some mystery being studied, they attract people; they are sought out by others and their opinions respected. Mavens influence purchasing decisions. Mavens make it their business to know everything. The best hotels ( which often mean the best value hotels ), the best places to eat, shop, park, the best electronics. What makes these people desirable for manufacturers is that people consumers listen to them.

In the famous "6 degrees of separation" research Gladwell publicizes in his "The Tipping Point" there is a single individual that he calls "connectors" who seem to know everyone. These people, like "Mavens" have a way of attracting and influencing people. They are joiners and very social. In conversation they have a way of disarming their interlocutor and having him open up and share intimacies more quickly than others. They keep in contract with an amazing number of people and their list of acquaintances is vast and not just based on geography. They known and are known by seemingly everyone.

If you are interested in Gladwell's ideas you can read "The Tipping Point" The bottom line is that some people are more persuasive than others and they help people not merely because they make money from this effort. They like to help people.
"This is a Christian Country,Charlie,founded on Christian values...when you can't put a nativiy scene in front fire house at Christmas time in Nacogdoches Township, something's gone terribly wrong"

Hosting Services by ipHouse