The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 16 made on Monday April 9, 2012 at 00:18
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On April 8, 2012 at 23:30, Audible Solutions said...
We all have biases. When they are obvious

to us, that is, we have spent time observing our behavior, and if we are moral people,

we state them up front. One of the causualties of truth in the Republican war on the Press is that one can not do his job honestly and report what he sees or is told honestly if one has personal prejudcies.

This, of course, goes for all reporters. As stated above, we all have biases, so reporters on both sides of every issue are biased, no matter what they think.

We all know this to be false.

I can't figure out what you're saying is false.

We criticise products we think are supurb. We recommend solutions we do not sell. We suggest solutions that are right for the client but do not make us money. If we are able to make honest judgements why would we think this trait particular to CIs and only CIs?

I follow you here after the first sentence, I think -- you're saying we're good guys who do the right thing (which, however, contradicts the first sentence).

Right. IF we are able to make honest judgments. ceied makes honest judgments all the time and tells us to use component, never HDMI. Jeff Boccaccio makes honest judgments and tells us about the joys of HDMI. Brentm makes honest judgments and tells us how to overcome the flaws in the type of products that Jeff supports. So.... you said IF we are able to make honest judgments. Earlier you said everyone is biased. I guess your "if" pans out to "well, we can't."

This point is so so true:
In our industry this has often not been the case. Editorial has often had to cater to the business end publishing. How many bad reviews can you name in publications. A bad product review means the loss of advertising. Trade publications are essentially PR arms of manufacturers. We all know this. Does this mean every article on HDMI or networking is tainted because the writer often has products for sale?

No, but it does mean that we have to teach our compadres not to just accept the word of a magazine that tells us it represents us, when it absolutely does not.

We have all met or known of people who discovered Jesus, exercise, Yaga,or some other "cure" and wish to share it with everyone they know. Do they do this from bias or from an honest wish to share the wisdom they've discovered? Yes, we all have biases. That does not mean we do not offer honest opinions based upon what we epically observe.

Kangen water fits in there, too.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse