Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 15 made on Sunday April 8, 2012 at 23:30
Audible Solutions
March 2004
On April 8, 2012 at 22:00, bcf1963 said...
I don't buy into the statement above. I know of a number of blogs dedicated to other areas of interest I have, that review items the reviewer has purchased, or has been sent for review. It seems like the more popular bloggers are more popular, because they tell the truth. If they don't like the product, they say what they don't like about it. As soon as someone tries to blow smoke, and wants to sugarcoat things, people figure it out, and the blogger quits getting people to watch.

The smart companies have learned that by listening to the bloggers that are popular, if they fix the issues that come up, they get a lot of good faith. I've heard many people online state how they bought a specific product, as the company is behind making that product what it promises.

Reading through Malcom Gladwell's books I discovered that acedemics have discovered an unusual and cirtical consumer they named the "maven," Yiddish for expert. Manufactuers have discovered that finding and courting this consumer can be crucial to their product's success. Mavens, writes Gladwell, become trusted by larger numbers of consumers--call them friends and extended aqaintences--and do this not out of an expectation for financial remuneration but because they like to help people. Ever notice that some products have on their labels phone numbers you can call with any comments or suggestions? Gladwell says this is how manufacturers discover "mavens" and once they know of them they court them. They know their product's success can depend on pleasing these indviduals.

We all have biases. When they are obvious we state them up front. One of the causualties of truth in the Republican war on the Press is that one can not do his job honestly and report what he sees or is told honestly if one has personal prejudcies. We all know this to be false. We criticise products we think are supurb. We recommend solutions we do not sell. We suggest solutions that are right for the client but do not make us money. If we are able to make honest judgements why would we think this trait particular to CIs and only CIs?

In our industry this has often not been the case. Editorial has often had to cater to the business end publishing. How many bad reviews can you name in publications. A bad product review means the loss of advertising. Trade publications are essentially PR arms of manufacturers. We all know this. Does this mean every article on HDMI or networking is tainted because the writer often has products for sale?

We have all met or known of people who discovered Jesus, exercise, Yaga,or some other "cure" and wish to share it with everyone they know. Do they do this from bias or from an honest wish to share the wisdom they've discovered? Yes, we all have biases. That does not mean we do not offer honest opinions based upon what we epically observe.
"This is a Christian Country,Charlie,founded on Christian values...when you can't put a nativiy scene in front fire house at Christmas time in Nacogdoches Township, something's gone terribly wrong"

Hosting Services by ipHouse