The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 4 made on Saturday February 4, 2012 at 19:31
goldenzrule
Loyal Member
July 2007
On February 4, 2012 at 12:15, mvgossman said...
Don't have a cow, man! Typical snarky tone that a normal person would never make speaking in person.
1. You jump to a conclusion that my intent is to illegally obtain software to program a system, that is incorrect, I am looking for a system that allows that or a way to do this with the RTI system whether that requires purchasing software or not.
2. You incorrectly assume that I know that anyone who can program a Harmony remotes can also program a professional grade system. That might not be true in all cases, but "I have no doubt" that it is true in my case that I would have no difficulty programming such a system.
3. Love the scare quotes around the word "Programmer", it implies you know more about my qualifications than I do myself. Interesting.

But I'll look at the URC system, thanks for that information.

The guy helped you and you snap back? He explained that you cannot get the software from RTI, not from your installer, not from anyone. RTI company policy, the software is available ONLY to dealers. No dealer will hand it out as they are at risk of losing the line if they do so. He suggested URC because of the fact that their policy is that it is up to a dealer if they wish to provide software. This does not mean that every dealer will. URC will not support these end users, so that would like on the dealer to offer support. If they are not in a position to do so, they most likely will not be providing software.

He also pointed out how different Harmony is than RTI in the programming process. Harmony programs the remote for you, you do not actually do any programming. With RTI, you program EVERYTHING from scratch, and I do mean everything. It requires training and experience. I don't doubt you have programming knowledge, but it doesn't mean you can program everything, without some sort of training or support. URC is a bit easier to program then RTI, and you may have access to the software, so it is a better choice if you wish to work on it yourself.

Lastly, you have to understand you saying you want a Professional remote to program yourself whenever you want is like saying you want a private jet to fly around the world on a whim when you feel like it, but you wish to pay for business class. Professional remotes are designed and built for people that are trained and certified to sell them. I would not tell a computer programmer that I could create a sophisticated computer program because I consider myself a "programmer" because I can program remotes. It's apples to oranges.

Hosting Services by ipHouse