The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 43 made on Friday February 3, 2012 at 12:06
snorkel
Long Time Member
January 2012
Well, I just got my R40 and I think I will be keeping it as well as the MX-450 as in a few months I will need two good remotes anyway.

Some observations on the r40.

The favorites setup is not as good as on the mx-450.
On the 450 there is a single Fav button and if you click it it goes to the favorites screen and if you click it again it goes back to whatever screen you where on before. The R40 has 4 fav buttons and they are labeled really stupid, they should have just labeled them A,B,C,D. The other issue with the favorites is if you copy your menu group to the favorites it also copies the functions of the A,B,C,D commands from the DVR device, and then when you are on the main screen and click the A button it pops up the settings menu from the DVR (in my case a SA 8300HD) and then shows the Favorites screen. So if you want to have full use of the DVR when on the main or fav screen you can't effectively use the favorites, unless you put them all on D which has no function on the DVR.

What URC should have done was a single FAV button and just had the ABCD keys for device use.

The other issue is you can't turn off the stupid hints in the programming menu, which you can do on the MX-450, after you figure out the programming(which is not difficult at all) you are stuck always having to blow through the hint pages, pretty annoying.

Finally the R40 has far less devices codes stored internally than the MX-450, I thought I could just find the same codes I used on the 450, but no dice the code was not there, I ended up finding one that was close, but the discrete HDMI functions did not work properly, so I just learned those from the 450.

Aside from these few issues the remote is very nice and the OLED screen is great, you can hold it at all angles and the screen is still readable, this is not the case on the MX-450 or R50, it washes out at very minor angles. The ability to move buttons around is really nice as well. Build quality is great, far superior to the flimsy Harmony remotes.

Hosting Services by ipHouse