The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Thursday February 2, 2012 at 13:50
mvgossman
Lurking Member
January 2007
Time has come to switch from my current system of Harmony remotes coupled with an infrared command distrubution system to control devices around the house. I've been unhappy with the distribution of noisy standard definition TV over coax and the remote control system is not as robust as I would like.

I decided to approach a professional installer, and he is extremely knowledgable and capable, and has recommended a couple HD modulators along with a professional grade remote system from RTI, and iPad and iPhone apps to control TVs etc. in less frequently used spots.

What I have a real problem with is that this is a professionally programmed system and there is (he says) no way to "give me the car keys" to make changes when I want afterward. I'm a control freak, a computer programmer, and of course experienced with the Harmony programming and I have no doubt I can do it myself. It's not so much I want to save the $ to make changes, and he has assured me that he will make small tweaks as part of the overall fee for the services even remotely from his office, but I want instant gratification and just want to do the later tweaks. I'd do all of it from the get-go but I concede that I'd rather have him do the initial programming because he'd be much faster and better.

So A) Is there a way to seize control of the programming for this specific system and if not, B) Is there a professional grade system of RF remotes that will do this?

I understand the motivation for the professional grade systems companies to keep control in the hands of the pros in order to keep their systems reputable, working, etc. for their reputation's sake.
MVG

Hosting Services by ipHouse