The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 7 made on Thursday January 26, 2012 at 10:09
RandyWalters
Long Time Member
December 2006
On January 24, 2012 at 23:04, Mr. Remoto said...
So does that mean there is no way to actually get rid of the device? It'll just be a blank LCD button but when you press it it'll still go to page 1 of the hidden device? That stinks. Is there no way to restore it to a factory default with no devices? Wow, I'm never getting a remote that isn't PC programmable again.

The default Devices on the main screen when the remote is new aren't actually devices, they're just the default locations of the stored codes for that particular type of device but you can rename them as other devices. I renamed TV at the upper right to 8300HD (my cable DVR), and renamed AUDIO at the upper left to Tivo.

You can erase all learned commands for that particular device. In Setup - choose ERASE, then LEARN, then it gives you the option of DEVICE or ALL (or exit). Choosing DEVICE erases all the learned commands for that device, but if you used a stored device code to create that device in that spot i don't know if this procedure also erases the default commands or not. Try it and see.

I have MX-850's at my house and I wanted to get something for my girlfriend that was 1. cheaper and 2. could be set up in similar fashion because she's used to my remotes. I got an MX-500 off of eBay not thinking to look at the specs because I assumed all the MX remotes had the same serial interface.

I also set up an MX-500 for my GF just for her Cable DVR and DVD player, and i erased all the text for the remaining eight devices and she has no problem ignoring the blank device spaces on the main screen so i'm not sure what your concern is. She's not tech savvy at all, but she uses her MX-500 just fine as there's only two devices on her screen, and i put macros on M1 and M3 to switch between DVD and cable DVR. I do have her TV set up in another space but i hid the text from her since i'm the only one that fiddles with her TV's setup menus.

Last edited by RandyWalters on January 28, 2012 10:18.
Randy
URC MX-890, MX-780, MX-450, R40, MX-500, Sony XBR-55X900E, Panny TC-P55ST60, Tivo Roamio Pro & Premiere & OTA, TWC Arris DVR, Onkyo 333 AVR, Roku Express 4K, Panasonic Blu-Ray

Hosting Services by ipHouse