The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Sunday January 8, 2012 at 19:30
Cico Buff
Founding Member
October 2001
Well, I finally did it. I managed to program my new Acoustic Research ARRS05G remote, to duplicate all of my 5 different machines, and absolutely every key and macro that I had programmed on the old Cinema 7. (I finished it all before reading any of today's replies in this thread). As I mentioned, I didn't think this would be possible. This 5 in 1 was looking like it would be a 3 in 1 device remote for me. That is because it does not have a CD device key, and does not accept CD codes. Plus the fact that it has some strange defect, where it will not accept reassignment of the CBL/SAT key (yet you can reassign other device keys).

I was able to overcome both issues when I discovered, to my surprise, that the remote will happily learn and accept the Marantz CD player commands on the CBL/SAT key. (I'm pretty lucky, considering I did not have the original Marantz remote, and I can now do things with the AR that the original remote probably couldn't do!). I do not know if the AR5G has more memory than the Cinema 7, but it (after some trial and error) learned all the codes and I did not run out. In the case of the Sony receiver, I did have better results during learning when the remotes were in the air (rather than flat on a table), and ensuring the original remote has strong batteries also made a difference.

I did have to find some different ways of doing things on this remote, because it doesn't operate quite like the C7. For one thing, I could not program the Cinema 7's EFC's (advanced codes) at all, they didn't work. I eventually resolved the problem by figuring out that I had to add two zeros to each code, as this remote uses 5-digit EFC codes. While this worked fine for everything else, none of the Cinema 7 EFC codes worked on my Sony receiver. This may have something to do with the fact that on the C7, the device code is "0158", while on the AR, the code is "1058". So assuming they can work, the EFC codes may be different as well. (In any case, I could not find EFC codes for this remote, or the similar "Digital 5" models from OFA. So I used learned commands for the Sony receiver). Also, even though the device codes were the same, there were differences in the default programming between the Cinema 7 and AR5G remotes. They didn't necessarily have the same functions by default, nor on the same keys.

Hosting Services by ipHouse