The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 14 made on Saturday December 24, 2011 at 02:20
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On December 22, 2011 at 20:29, cowboy said...
actually I tried the stereo plug first, per the schematic, and it didnt work :) I was asked if I had tried just signal and ground, and replied I had tried a mono plug....I can see how you misinterpreted my reply:)

I beg to differ slightly. You stated that you used a mono plug, but you used the ring and sleeve of a stereo plug. That doesn't make the stereo plug into a mono plug. I did not misinterpret what you wrote.

Its interesting that the xantech schematic for the 791-44 shows it passes only signal and ground at the emitter [OUTPUT] jack, so I would need to get 5V to the tip somehow?

Let's back up.
The 791-44 provides emitter OUTPUTS, so only needs signal and ground, which are at the tip and ring, respectively.  No emitter needs a connection to a DC voltage.

But the HR-34 INPUT is designed to power an IR sensor and take the IR signal out of that sensor and put it into the HR-34. Thus 5 volts is provided to power a sensor. The ring carries the IR signal into the HR-34 and the sleeve is the ground.

(I just realized, though, that all the sensors I've ever used work with 12 volts, so I don't know what sensors DirecTV has in mind.)
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse