The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Thursday December 22, 2011 at 20:29
cowboy
Long Time Member
November 2003
On December 22, 2011 at 12:08, Ernie Gilman said...
You saw the schematic, and you even copied it for us here, but you didn't think about it to follow it.

actually I tried the stereo plug first, per the schematic, and it didnt work :) I was asked if I had tried just signal and ground, and replied I had tried a mono plug....I can see how you misinterpreted my reply:)

A mono plug has a tip and a sleeve. A stereo plug has a tip, and the part of the plug that is just sleeve on a mono plug is divided into the ring, in the middle, and the sleeve, furthest from the tip.

That schematic is for thinking about. It says that the tip has five volts on it. Thus a mono plug, where you put the signal on the tip, won't work. Luckily, it won't hurt that the mono plug's sleeve shorts together the ring and sleeve connections of the stereo jack.

So, thinking about the schematic, you need a stereo plug where the sleeve is ground, the ring is your IR signal, and the tip isn't connected at all.

Its interesting that the xantech schematic for the 791-44 shows it passes only signal and ground at the emitter jack, so I would need to get 5V to the tip somehow?

Hosting Services by ipHouse