The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 8 made on Tuesday December 6, 2011 at 15:58
purtypitcher
Lurking Member
December 2011
Just got off the phone with Panasonic, they never have responded to my email. At first when I told the phone rep I was getting 75-80-85% signal strength on the Panasonic's meter she thought those were plenty strong. But then I repeated my main question which is why won't it work then, when the old TV/converter box does work?

After putting me on hold to find out (sigh), she came back and said the problem is that I need an even stronger signal because my TV has a QAM tuner. New term for me, sorry, I have been out of TV mode for a long time and didn't know things were getting this complicated.

So, some more internet research shows me that QAM tuners need "cleaner" signals then just ATSC tuners. So, probably my Digital Stream converter box that I have been using has an ATSC tuner and only needs to convert to low rez analog anyway for the old analog TV, so that's why I'm picking everything up with that one because it doesn't need as strong a signal. Does that sound right?

I'm still going to try my indoor antenna on the neighbor's Vizio TV, and see what happens, but it looks like I may have to get a much stronger antenna for OTA from 3.3 miles away from the CBS affiliate tower!

So, based on my earlier post showing all the stations, distances, azimuth differences, etc., what might be some good antennas to look for? I can do outdoor if I have to, but would prefer attic or really good amped indoor, or something with as little complication as possible. All of the local stations are UHF. Thanks.

Hosting Services by ipHouse