The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Tuesday December 6, 2011 at 09:43
purtypitcher
Lurking Member
December 2011
Thanks for the replies. I've still got over two weeks of return option, so hopefully can get this figured out. More info:

I am in Lexington, KY. TV is in 1st floor of my house, antenna about five feet off the floor. Some larger trees around, but no big buildings. Looking at channel frequencies reveals some very close numbers, maybe the Panasonic has poor selectivity. From TV Fool:

WKYT-CBS, Real channel: 36, 1000Kw, Distance 3.3 miles, azimuth 84º= nothing but pixelation, unuseable
WTVQ-ABC, Real channel: 40, 635Kw, Distance 3.7 miles, azimuth 91º= 100% signal strength, perfect picture
WLEX-NBC, Real channel: 39, 475Kw Distance 3.7 miles, azimuth 91º= ~85-90% signal, a few occasional pixel burps
WDKY-FOX, Real channel: 31, 1000Kw, Distance 13.1 miles, azimuth 144º= can't remember signal strength, but picture is good, very minor pixel burps
WKLE-PBS, Real channel: 42, 45.8Kw, Distance 13.1 miles, azimuth 145º= black screen, no signal on meter
WUPX-IND, Real channel: 21, 719Kw, Distance 46.1 miles, azimuth 101º= black screen, no signal on meter

So, WTVQ and WLEX appear to be on the same tower, with adjacent frequencies, but I can get both of them. WKYT is not far away from those two, has more power, is not adjacent channel, and I only can get pixels.

I don't think I'm overloaded, and I'll try hooking up the cheapo converter box again when I get home to see if it still works. Also, my next door neighbor said we can hook up my cheap Philips antenna to his TV and see what he gets on his brand new Vizio TV (he is on cable, so has never tested for OTA reception).

In researching TVs, it never even occurred to me to look at tuner sensitivity, figuring anything would be better than my cheap converter box/old TV setup. I used to be all over that spec for FM radio, and in fact am still running an NAD 7400 receiver, which, according to Leonard Feldman from the old Audio magazine, had the best tuner sensitivity of any tuner he had ever tested up to that time (mid 1980's). It is still a fantastic tuner/receiver.

Haven't heard back yet from Panasonic. I'll be contacting Best Buy as well. Heh, thought I was just going to unplug the old TV, plug in the new, and be done with things.......right.

Hosting Services by ipHouse