The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 10 made on Thursday December 1, 2011 at 23:48
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On December 1, 2011 at 17:41, NEZBO said...
The grey screen is output from the DTV box.

Under what conditions have you seen this?

The older software would have a black screen when switching channels.

My HR24/500 has software 0x4e2 from nineteen hours ago. The screen goes to black when I change channels. This makes me look into things a bit.

And I just pinned this down. I've got my DVR set up so that Pillar Box side bars are black. If I change this setting to gray, then the screen goes gray between channels. So the screen goes to "the color chosen in Setup for Pillar Box side bars." It does not go to gray or black per se.

I just set my Favorites to all channels and went looking. 604-1, which I do not get, hung up on gray for about three seconds, then went to a DirecTV logo with elevator mucous. Music. Whatever. Channel 612 hung up for three seconds before the DTV logo.615-1 hung up for almost ten seconds. I think this is the essence of the issue. And though something is clearly not performing properly, if this is the origin of the problem, avoiding those channels would solve the manifestation.

The next step for your customer would be to confront the gray screen with the INFO button, pushing it more than once if needed in order to have INFO show what channel number he's on. This may lead to you setting up and paring down Favorites 1 to the channels they actually watch, or at least changing it to "Channels I get."
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse