The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Thursday December 1, 2011 at 15:30
Ernie Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
Those receivers should go into the bouncing DirecTV logo screen saver after a few minutes in pause. I've never seen ANY gray screen from a DirecTV brand receiver.

LNB and multiswitch problems will cause loss of signal problems -- screen freezing or loss of signal message.

You need to pin down how much time it takes for the problem to occur; whether it happens every time that happens; if not, whether it happens during particular times of day... TSS mentioned pause, but you didn't; is that a factor?

And you need to look at all the parts of the system. You might instantly recognize something terribly squirrely, even though a gray screen makes zero sense at all.

I'm remembering a couple of problems I've had; in one, the LNB failed on local HDs only on the master bedroom TV. Turned out, when the temp was below about 60 degrees outside, all TVs could not get those channels, but they only looked at the master bedroom TV, showing a problem with accurate depiction of the problem. When I arrived at noon all was okay. I finally found the problem when I got there at 9:00 AM one day, and was able to confirm that all receivers did it.

Another problem was caused by strange wrong connection of two multiswitches with splitters, and the problem at receiver A was caused by a channel selection at receiver B or C. You have to know what those other receivers are doing.
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse