The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 34 made on Saturday November 19, 2011 at 03:06
lemketron
Founding Member
July 2001
On February 28, 2011 at 18:44, tranx said...
Yes agreed about the deficiencies of the label editor and that a button shuffling function would help. We have got used to having a uni remote each, so another R50 is on its way and cloning will be missed, but on the whole we have not been disappointed.

PS
Yes with more experience we have [been disappointed]...the overlaps and proximity of buttons around the thumbpad, and delay while lcd has to be lit up by pressing a button, are annoying. I have gone back to MX500 and my wife prefers Sony RM-VL610!

SIGH... I have an ancient MX-500 (one of the first generation ones, which no longer lights up and has several parts rattling around inside as well as tape holding the battery door on -- kids are SO hard on these things). I'm about to upgrade some components, and so I have to decide whether to re-program my MX-500 or start over with an R50 or MX-450. Why did they have to mess with what was clearly one of the best button arrangements ever (MX-500) especially for TiVo users? I really like the color screen (though I don't understand why we can't set the colors for each device) and macro editing, but it sounds like the goofy recessed button layout (for critical TiVo transport buttons) is a deal-breaker for many folks.

If anyone from URC ever reads this, PLEASE talk to Daniel before you put out another MX-500 or MX-450 replacement! I'm sure he'd tell you how to make a killer device, once and for all.

Personally, I'd like to see a remote with the features and screen of the 450, the hard-button layout of the 500, four AA batteries, USB connection to a PC (ideally for PC editing as well as backup, save/restore, and updating of the pre-programmed IR database). Better still, let us edit the pre-programmed device button/page layouts on the PC and then load everything back into the remote...

Edit... OK, so I just learned about the R40, which is evidently a newer and updated version of the R50. Goofy naming scheme. But is there an MX-440? Or would that be the MX-880? Or MX-780?

Also, where's Daniel's review of the R40 which I'd love to read before I buy one? I just want to know which model is "the 2011 remote for MX-500 fans". :-)

Last edited by lemketron on November 19, 2011 04:17.

Hosting Services by ipHouse