The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 28 made on Saturday November 12, 2011 at 17:23
Terry Kennedy
Long Time Member
April 2010
On November 12, 2011 at 10:38, mariomp said...
I'll be changing channels on the DirecTV box (RS232) and 5 or 10 presses will go thru and then the base will stop responding; busy light lit, and RFX9600 for 30-45 seconds. No other functions lighting up on the RFX9600. I don't use any 2 way communication with the connected devices.
Something is causing the RFX9600 to over-flood or just get stupid. Or the network (WAP?) is flooding the RFX, not sure.

If you guys think it's the dedicated WAP, I'll get one that you recommend.
If you think it's the router, I'll swap that as well.

Since you mention a DirecTV box, I thought I should mention a few things. I've used both the HR21-700 and the HR24-100 with the recommended USB/serial adapter (IOgear GUC232A) on an RFX9600. This is on RFX serial port 2 and a Panasonic plasma is on RFX serial port 1 (so, not the ports that are known to conflict - 3 and 4). While the DirecTV box is rebooting, commands from the remote to the Panasonic plasma report "command failed" about 90% of the time, as do commands sent to the devices on RFX ports 3 and 4.

If you're not using 2-way communication, you might want to re-wire your serial ports to only have ground and the serial data from the RFX to the device connected (disconnecting serial data from the device to the RFX and any control lines).

I'm using a D-Link DAP-2553 set to a fixed channel, no encryption, fixed IP on DAP / RFX / TSU, with a crossover cable to the RFX (no other connectivity). I only get a failure (which varies - didn't reply / didn't acknowledge / execution error) a couple times a week.

If you try the DAP-2553 and won't be mounting it completely out of sight, you may want to black out one of the LEDs which continually blinks. For the ones I've used, I actually opened the AP and put electrical tape over that LED (which, of course, voids the warranty).

Hosting Services by ipHouse