The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 180 made on Saturday November 5, 2011 at 13:15
39 Cent Stamp
Elite Member
May 2007
On November 4, 2011 at 15:26, mcn779 said...
The people of Germany didn't think so. The neo-Nazis of today don't think so. How is your skewing of the definition any different?

Who cares what they thought/think. Hitler was a bad guy. Are you saying that you think Hitler was a good guy? Talking about something being skewed.

Actually it was first uses use was in reference to a particular group of people in India.

Good to know. Now what does that have to do with Hitler using the word incorrectly?

Since you won't

"There is an archaic historic usage.

Scottish Covenanter usage

In Scotland in the 1640s, the Covenanters rejected rule by bishops, often signing manifestos using their own blood. Some wore red cloth around their neck to signify their position, and were called rednecks by the Scottish ruling class to denote that they were the rebels in what came to be known as The Bishop's War that preceded the rise of Cromwell.[21][22] Eventually, the term began to mean simply "Presbyterian", especially in communities along the Scottish border. Because of the large number of Scottish immigrants in the pre-revolutionary American south, some historians have suggested that this may be the origin of the term in the United States.[23]

Dictionaries document the earliest American citation of the term's use for Presbyterians in 1830, as "a name bestowed upon the Presbyterians of Fayetteville [North Carolina]".

It first use was discriminatory and it still is. It is a generalization/stereotype no different than what being racist is based on.

Did you know that Bad can now mean Good? It's 2011. I don't know where the term came from but i have always heard it used/used it myself to describe anyone who hates other races, homosexuals etc. Redneck makes it easier to describe someone who just hates everyone else. It saves me like 30 minutes of typing. I guess i could research all the different terms for all the different moronic behaviors of the guy in the OP video. Or i can just call him what he is. A redneck.
Avid Stamp Collector - I really love 39 Cent Stamps

Hosting Services by ipHouse