The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 117 made on Thursday November 3, 2011 at 16:50
cjoneill
Select Member
December 2002
I just wanted to summarize a few things I read on here and add a couple of my own observations-

I haven't seen anyone on here who appears to be a racist. The argument is more to free speech whether or not you agree with someone.

However, a person's Freedom of Speech is routinely misapplied, both here and in popular conversation. This is actually what the First Amendment states, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

The first part says that the government can't raise one religion over any other, which gives rise to the separation of church and state. Next, it says that it can't prohibit the practice of religion, though further case law says that it can if there is a compelling interest.

The second part says that the government can't abridge the freedom of speech. However, this has been taken by courts to mean that the government can't keep people from speaking against it.

The Freedom of Speech ammendment does NOT give someone the right to say whatever they want!

There are many laws that do prohibit saying whatever you want, and they have been upheld by the courts. Some examples are libel, slander, assault, and yes, racist comments.

The guy in the video is a racist and is violating the Civil Rights Act and should be held accountable.

A bigot is anybody who doesn't agree with me :)

CJ
I'm not a pro

Hosting Services by ipHouse