Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Thursday October 6, 2011 at 12:05
sirroundsound
November 2003
I need to figure out what I should be doing.

My location is in east Burlington, not far from the lake.

I have a DB8 antenna that I have mounted as high as I can get it, and aimed at Buffalo.
I also had an older finger type antenna that I added and combined (aimed at the CN tower approximately). I know this isn't the best way to do things and can cause issues, but before the Canadian channels switched over it actually worked quite well.
Before the switch I was receiving 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 4.1, 5, 5.1, 7.1, 7.2, 9, 11, 17.1.2.3, 23.1, 25, 29.1, 29.2, 36, 41, 47, 48.3 (which always came in after a channel search, but was always a blank screen)57, and a couple of channels in the 60's (Omni I think)
Other than the occasional signal loss on CH 29 (fox) I seem to receive most US stations pretty well.
I did have an amplifier on the line, then tried a pre amp. One or the other did help with some stations that were spotty, but I still seem to suffer from a few channels that digitize regularly. If I remove the amp, those channels are worse.

My guess is small adjustments in the aiming of the antenna might help with these issues.

From what I have read, the DB8 is only a UHF antenna and I will need VHF if I wish to continue to receive CH 9 or 11. Plus it seems that other than CH 5 (CBC) all Canadian OTA channels are weak and reception is spotty.

So it's time to upgrade and do what I can to make all this work the best it can.

Should I be just looking at getting a Channel Master CM-3020, put it on a rotor and if need be pre amp it? Or is the DB8 still a very good choice and there is a way to add to it for the VHF channels? I will add a rotor to the DB8 as a minimum upgrade.

Thanks,

Pat

Hosting Services by ipHouse