The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Saturday September 17, 2011 at 14:12
Tennant
Founding Member
January 2002
I've been a user of various Philips Pronto remotes, RC5000, iPronto, TSU-9600 etc. Whilst the iPronto was my preference of all of these because of the built in web browser, it lost favour as battery life waned and the browser couldn't handle modern websites.

I got an iPad, which seemed the ideal device for a remote control other than its lack of IR blaster. I know there are various add-ons around, but never got round to exploring them. Instead I have just taken delivery of Sony's iPad rival the Tablet S. This Android 3.2 (Honeycomb) device does have a built-in IR blaster and also is the perfect form factor for a remote control/casual living room web browsing device.

However the remote control software it comes with is relatively basic compared to the Prontos. Whilst it can learn IR commands, and you can change the names of buttons, the layout of the screens is pretty much fixed. I know it's early days for this device, but anyone know of any existing or in development apps that would allow an improved remote interface? Something that allows complex, graphic-rich layouts with macros to be designed on the PC and then uploaded to the tablet (a la Pronto) would be perfect...

Tennant

Last edited by Tennant on September 17, 2011 15:32.

Hosting Services by ipHouse