The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 43 made on Thursday September 8, 2011 at 14:55
hd fan
Long Time Member
March 2006
Thanks for the info but your yagui was specialy designed not only for ch 7-13 but centered around ch 10 as per Winegard specs therefore with its 60 degrees and at least 7.2 dbd (it says reference dipole) your are in better position to get that signal than most people. I agree with you in that everyone needs a VHF antenna on this GTA market now that CTV and CHCH are on that band (although lots of people will get away with a UHF only) specially if your going to complain loss of CHCH signal but in any case 6 KW EIRP does not sound appropiate for digital VHF-Hi. Even considering that man made noise (EMI, impulse noise) is not as bad as it is in VHF-Lo still any TV station operating with 7-13 should consider more power than those in UHF. I mean for UHF 1/10th of previous analog EIRP is enough but even with VHF-Hi it should be more than that. I have not made the proper calculations or run propagation models for ch 11 but recent USA experience has shown that more power was needed on real life scenarios after the switch over. Models will get improved I guess, similar to Hurricane prediction we are still improving the needed math.

In any case do not expect a VHF digital station to be a flamethrower or have a lot of power in its amp , as it is not needed after all. VHF signals travel way farther that its UHF counterparts. I hope the engineers will fix this shortly , to bad that CRTC/IC burocracy seems to operate way slower thant it american counterpart were after the digita lswitch stations were granted authorisation to increase power or change to UHF just after 1 month. In Canada it seems could take 1 year though. True facts, true data , constructive criticism or just simply callign the engineer's attention should be the proper approach rather than comparing your washing machine motor power or simply reading the internet and spreading the popular word.

Too bad the regulators and IC engineers allowed this to happen in the first place anyways. I guess the ostrich game not only runs deep in Canadian society but also within its institutions. They should have learnt from USA, they should have adviced CHCH engineers and not only that they should have denied their licence based on the grounds that they no longer seem to cover the same coverage area that before. But heck , I am not the regulator neither this is communism, lol.

Lets see how long it takes them to fix this anyways.

Last edited by hd fan on September 8, 2011 18:22.

Hosting Services by ipHouse