The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 33 made on Saturday July 30, 2011 at 21:34
Ernie Bornn-Gilman
Yes, That Ernie!
December 2001
On July 19, 2011 at 19:11, bcf1963 said...
iTunes refuses to support Windows Audio formats, but WMP supports nearly ever format known to man, including Apple's AAC. Forcing me to transcode much of my rips, and store them yet again, taking up more space.

But I, in my naivete, have been ripping my CDs as .WAV files. Please tell me how bad an idea that is/was, or how to rip them in the future.

Some older files are mp3s.

Will WAVs and mp3s play via iTunes?

On July 18, 2011 at 21:28, sofa_king_CI said...
What are you talking about? We get updates, but I would hardly say constantly and the only bundleware is QuickTime which I would have anyway to make sure I have codecs for any video type I may come across.

What's your secret, or do have a clue what must be turned off on my computer? I'm using XP, and I have NEVER been able to update QuickTime, or play anything that says it requires it.

On July 18, 2011 at 18:34, motech said...
iTunes does not screw up your music files, or take them over.
when you install iTunes it asks you if you want iTunes to ORGANIZE your music files, if you say yes, then it will just move the files in to organized folders inside an iTunes folder.

Does this mean that iTunes will, for instance, take the many folders I've got on my external drive, the one with the music on it, and totally redo the folders on that drive? I'd expect it to create, within itself, a mapping system to be able to find the files, then present the music to me as though it's been organized.

One thing I didn't mention is how horrible the WMP alphabetization is. Everything is by people's first names. If you've got classical music, it's organized by the first name of whichever name is the first one on the disc, usually the conductor.

On July 18, 2011 at 18:38, brandenpro said...

I don't like how it organizes Soundtracks or multi artist albums.

This is also horrid on the Windows Media Player. But, I just installed a system for a couple, and when she brought her iPod to use in it, she had all these single cuts by different artists. I finally figured out that it was all from "Jazz at Midnight" or some such collection.

What's amusing about this is that I once started a database of my collection of 78s, showing title, bandleader, etc, eventually wanting to list all 18 or so players. For that I used vp planner, which was eventually replaced when some company or other introduced a new program called... what was it... Lotus. Remember that? Now, almost thirty years later, the two most popular music softwares have zero idea how to handle multiple artists!
A good answer is easier with a clear question giving the make and model of everything.
"The biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place." -- G. “Bernie” Shaw

Hosting Services by ipHouse