The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Wednesday July 6, 2011 at 08:32
Daniel Tonks
Wrangler of Remotes
October 1998
My mom's been an avid reader her entire life, but with age and other complications her eyesight has been going downhill. So she's had to go from paperbacks to hardcovers to large print editions. With large print versions not always available (especially for paperback authors) and usually costing twice as much as the hardcover, about 8 months ago I thought it would be a great idea to pick her up a Kindle. At that point the majority of the authors she likes to read were available in the Canadian store (which I believe is the 2nd largest behind the US one), and with the readability and customizable font sizes it seemed a perfect fit.

So I bought her the large screen version and loaded it up with a bunch of books, and she absolutely loves it. It's made a huge improvement in her enjoyment of reading.

She finished the last book she had on it a couple days ago, so last night I was researching the list of books and authors she wanted me to look at. Of around 10 books that she was specifically interested in, only around 3 of them were available on Kindle, and one of them was priced at $18 when the hardcover only cost $14. And of the last 7 books she's bought, only 3 of them are still available.

What kind of garbage is this? Can't get what you want, and when you can it might cost more than the physical book? Since when does cutting down trees, shipping them, pulping them, making paper, shipping the paper, printing the book, cutting and binding the book, shipping the book to a warehouse, then shipping the book to the local store cost LESS than an electronic download?

I'm not imprsseed.

Hosting Services by ipHouse