Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 171 made on Thursday June 23, 2011 at 17:18
nyjklein
Long Time Member
June 2002
Hi Barry,

In some ways I'm in the same boat as you. I'm well set on my Prontos and I'm using the two-way communications across IP from the Pronto to a couple of devices. Unlike you, I'm not using an intervening PC based "controller" (yet).

I've also been experimenting with IRule on the iPad and have bought a Global Cache IP2IR to control my IR only devices from iRule. I saw in your description you mentioned using the Global Cache gateways through your PC controller. Have you made any attempt to control the Global Cache gateway directly from your Pronto?

Also, I'm in complete agreement with your points about iRule's decision to go professional installer only in Australia and New Zealand. It was ugly enough when some home automation vendors used their control over proprietary hardware to enforce this kind of policy. But iRule is now going to used a completely cloud-based software solution to enforce this. In my mind a completely self-defeating strategy. I'm sure iRule could have found a much better solution to allow professional installers to protect their intellectual property (e.g. encryption) without completely locking out the DIY user.

Jeff

Hosting Services by ipHouse