The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Tuesday June 21, 2011 at 22:14
hd fan
Long Time Member
March 2006
I would try first aiming the antenna towards PBS 18.1. Maybe a rotor is all you need since you only connect 1 tv.

You can also consider a FTA satellite system for PBS. They have their master signals in the clear (unencrypted) on AMC 21 at 125W on Ku Band. With a regular DVB-S HD satellite receiver and just a 90 cm Dish you get PBS HD (both East and West feeds), also in SD , PBS Create , V-me (in spanish) and PBS World plus other sporadic and temporary feed signals (like BBC news or NHK news) from PBS that pop up occasionally on the same satellite. If you get a sat receiver that is DVB-S2 (8PSK) capable then you also get PBS Montana, Lousiana PBS (LPBS) and Oaklahoma PBS (OETA), the last 2 with extra subchannels like PBS kids I think. These are all master signals with lots of bandwidth or, if you will, bitrate, therefore their picture quality is way better than what you get via OTA antenna and obvioulsly way better than cable or satellite. This signals are master distribution signals intended to be distributed to the PBS affiliates master control studios or to the digital ATSC TX towers but since PBS is public they do not encrypt them , they acctually encourage people to watch them as well and you can call them for tech info or help , check pbs.org for info. I know is off topic but it might interest you as well, lots of PBS there and different programming as well , for more info you can check www.lyngsat.com or The List at www.satelliteguys.us. I can recommend the CS 8100HD PVR satellite receiver since it can be had on ebay and the likes for less than 100 dollars nowadays. It is also a PVR so if you connect a USB hard drive you can pause/timeshift or record your favorite tv shows as well. It also has an ATSC tuner built in BTW. for 150 cad the opensat HD PVR is also a good choice since it has blind scan, call your local satellite dealer for more info. a 90 cm dish with LNB will cost you 70 cad roughly plus 100 cad to install it if you find a satellite installer that is willing to do it (this system is tougher to aim than a Bell or Shaw satellite system).

Hosting Services by ipHouse