The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Saturday June 18, 2011 at 23:05
spikec
Lurking Member
June 2011
I have a B-8 stickgrip from an A-10 (similar to this: [url][Link: ottoexcellence.com][/url] that I got in my previous life as a Hog driver. My plan is to turn this into a remote control to turn on the AV receiver and TV in my bar and to select music and/or change channels.. I have pinned it out and all 8 buttons work. This will have to be a rather simple simple remote unless I can assign a macros to each button using discrete codes.

My plan A was to get a cheap universal remote control, program it, and then hack it by soldering the leads from the grip buttons to the button traces on the PCB. I've tried with 3 different remotes but none have done exactly what I want due to the inability to program them beyond the very basics. So I shifted gears and am now planning to use an Arduino to send out the ir pulses for each button. some really smart guy wrote the software library for the Arduino to do just this, so it should be relatively easy to customize the code for my components.

The software library supports Sony, NEC, RC5, and RC6 protocols. My AV receiver is an Onkyo NR-TX708 and the TV is a Samsung PN50c8000. before I prioceed, I'd like to ask a few questions.

Does anyone know what ir protocol these two components use?

In the IR Code lists i downloaded for the Onkyo, the give a "code" for each discrete function such as "D26D 04" (PowerOn). I'm guessing this is hex code?
Would creating a macro be as simple as stringing together a series of these discrete codes?

Is there any problems with programming a button to send different codes to both the AVR and the TV if they are different protocols?

Has anyone here messed around with ir remote control on the Arduino?

Thanking you guys in advance for any help you can give me!

Regards,

Spike

Hosting Services by ipHouse