Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 15 made on Friday June 3, 2011 at 00:48
bcf1963
September 2004
I find this thread interesting.  Lets take a little step back in time, about 24 years ago...

My first real remote, was a CORE, done by Steve Wozniak's company, CL-9.  I bought it about 1987.  It would learn the commands from the other remotes, you could program macros, it even offered variables and ways to define states.  This was done in 1985, built with an 8-bit 6502 processor, and had a LCD Display.  The remote had a clock that could be programmed to kick off different macros at various times.  That remote was the pioneer for all the features of the universal remotes we see today.

Almost 25 years later, the programming interface has improved, but many of the remotes today do this by limiting what is possible with the remote.  The CORE had a fraction of the memory and processing power of todays remotes, yet worked just as well.  I believe the software running in most of the remotes today must be incredibly bloated, and is likely written in some high level language so they get the product out the door, before they've finished debugging.

I believe the CORE was in the $250-$350 range.  I find this interesting, in that with computing power so much cheaper today, flash so much less expensive, that decent remotes still cost this much, 24 years later!  Why has this not given in to Moore's Law?

I really think that URC, RTI, Pronto, UEI, Harmony, have a great deal in common, and really fail to set themselves apart in a meaningful way.  The displays have gotten prettier, and the user interfaces a bit easier to program thanks mostly to USB and WYSIWYG programming interfaces (The Core interface was nearly WYSIWYG even 24 years ago), but there has been a severe lack of innovation, or even the ability to drive down pricing to levels where they are truly affordable by everyone.  There is really nothing in these devices that makes them this expensive.

So, the choice:  RTI or URC...

It's a race of PIGS!  Neither is very good, and they have their own narrow niche of things they are better at.  In the end, I don't think it matters if you pick any of the major universal remote manufacturers, as you can get the job done with any... the only thing that differs is "How does brand X suck less at some small task?"

I've got to think that at some point someone is going to set this industry on it's head.  They will realize that given a set of known connections between equipment, they can design a software program that gives a very useable interface that needs no tweaking.  But for those who want to customize things, they open up control to the lower levels to those who want to customize, and allow for a very special control experience.  Ease of programming, coupled with the ability to customize.  Once the user interface becomes easy enough for most people to get it to work, the device can be mass marketed, and we will see prices on them plummet, and put the companys in this market today, in the museum next to the Dinosaurs.

So, don't sweat it much.  Use what works for the project you have.  The interfaces are similar enough that once you've done several remotes, the others come easily.  It's a race of PIGS, so nobody is much faster or will win by much.

Hosting Services by ipHouse