The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 30 made on Thursday April 21, 2011 at 15:33
avgenius1
Founding Member
May 2002
On April 21, 2011 at 00:00, Neurorad said...
I dug out the book.

Axelrod says 66 ft for STP, 106 for ribbon cable, and 133 for UTP. These are based on typical cable capacitances, receiver input capacitance of 100 pF, and a baud of 20 kbps or less.

These are calculated, based on TIA-232 recs.

I don't know if 100 pF is usual or not, for an 'input capacitance'.

Which version of the book? I believe there was an updated version released a couple years ago. The one I am referring to had lengths of 35 feet for shielded cable and 50 feet for unshielded cable. I am in the process of moving so I cannot find my copy at the moment. It is heavy on technical but the background information has actually helped me diagnose some problems in the past. I also enjoy reading about technology so I didn't find it as dry as some might. I don't remember my copy having any discussion of UTP or STP cables.

You are right that the spec doesn't state actual cable lengths but a formula for calculating cable lenghts. Newer UARTs can transmit further it seems but I still try to stick with the 50 foot marker. I also try to avoid twisted pair cable when possible. Ethernet has taken a lot of the serial control away so wire length becomes less of an issue assuming you stay within allowable wire lengths for Ethernet communications, which I think is 328 feet or so on copper. I haven't had enough coffee today to pull specs out of my head and I don't feel like Googleing for an answer. Regardless, I still prefer a soldered connection with proper serial wiring. It looks cleaner in the rack and more professional all around.
"Some may never live but the crazy never die" ~ Hunter S. Thompson
"There will be plenty of time to sleep when I am dead" ~ Me

Hosting Services by ipHouse