Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 19 made on Friday December 8, 2000 at 18:17
Ladd Morse
Historic Forum Post
> In the "Bits per second pop-up menu, select 115200. Click OK, then OK again.

>make sure you get the High Speed USB adapter, because the ordinary Keyspan
> USB adapter was not fast enough

I can't speak to if this solution will work as I don't have a USB-enabled Mac, but your detailed answer does remind me of one step (noted in my original directions at the beginning of this thread) that I had to do to get my setup to work. Perhaps you might try this prior to purchasing a new USB-Serial adapter.

I too couldn't get ProntoEdit to connect to the Pronto with the 'out of the box' Virtual PC settings. Guessing that my emulated Windows environment might be creating some sort of discontinuity between what ProntoEdit and/or Windows 95 was expecting and what my emulated serial port was able to deliver, I tried adjusting the COM port speed downward.

When in Windows, I went thru the same adjustment of the 'Bits per Second' for the Com port as described for the USB adapter setup directions (also detailed in my original instructions at the beginning of this thread), and I lowered my speed from the default of (115K?) down to 2400 and everything worked properly. The next one or two faster port setting may also have worked fine but I wanted to see if a large slow-down would help, and as it solved the problem on my first adjustment, I have never bothered to set the port speed faster as uploads and downloads take only a few seconds now anyways.

Again, this may not apply to your situation at all, but if it is possible that you are having some sort of communications speed mis-match, try changing your Windows speed preferences for the appropriate COM port dramatically faster or slower and see if that helps.

Hang in there! :-)

Ladd

Hosting Services by ipHouse