I HAVE THE ANSWER! I have successfully done it! IT WORKS! FIRMWARE UPDATE NEEDED! read on.......
First. Many westinghouse tv's manufactured before 1/11/11 MUST have a "firmware update" if you wish to have them work with the newer Comcast remote "3" series,and Direct TV remotes. All you will need to make this happen is: a few minutes, a portable memory USB key/device, and a comuter.
1. Call WestingHouse Digital @ 1-800-701-0680 press #1 for tech support
2. Tell tech you are having problems programing tv to your universal remote
3. Tech will ask you for the: "version # and serial #" on back of tv so correct firmware update can be sent
4. Tech will email you instructions AND firmware update for tv
5. On a BLANK USB portable memory key (Also known as a thumb drive) follow email instructions and download firmware update, and print instructions for install.
6. Shut off tv, plug in memory key to tv (located in the back), turn tv on, and firmware automatically installs to tv (in my case, it took less than 1 minute) and then tv automatically shut off after install. Then remove memory key and turn on tv again.
7. Get out remote instructions ( I am using a comcast "3"series remote with the red "ok/select" button. Note: even after the firmware update, my comcast remote DID NOT respond to the comcast codes of: 10885, 10889, 10890, 11282, or 11577 (but depending upon the westinghouse LCD tv you have I would still try them first) The firmware update DID ALLOW ME TO PROGRAM MY REMOTE CONTROL through the Comcast "searching for your code" option, which before the firmware update had not been successful. (I own the 40" VR-4085df LCD)
8. program to to Comcast "3" remote using the "searching for your code" option
8a. turn on tv
8b. press "tv" on remote, then press & hold "set-up" until tv light flashes 2x
8c. Enter 9-9-1 "tv button blinks twice"
8d. Press and release the "1" digit. "tv blinks twice"
8e. Press and HOLD remote "power" button while also pressing the "channel" up button SLOWLY, until the tv shuts off.
8f. Immediately after tv shuts off, release all buttons and press the "set-up" button. The tv button on remote will blink 2x.
8g. Sit back and enjoy your tv now linked to your comcast remote.