Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 1 made on Saturday January 22, 2011 at 22:18
etc6849
Long Time Member
September 2010
Reward Details:
I'm currently offering a $50 paypal reward (likely to go up as time progresses). Your solution should follow procedures outlined in the MSC-400 reference manual, but any work around that I like will result in full payment of said reward. Your solution should be reproducible on my equipment (not just yours), although if you make a video showing it works on your equipment (or otherwise show my equipment is faulty) you'll likely still get the reward. You must use an MSC-400, MX-900 and a PC as outlined under "Preferred ways to reproduce this issue." I can send you the MSC-400 and MX-900 files as necessary (not the programs obviously, just my files).

Problem:
If I set up a custom RS232 device as outlined under "Preferred ways to reproduce the issue" (see below), RS232 commands are skipped, resulting is 1 out of 5 or 2 out of 10 failures when using an MX-900 and an MSC-400.

What I've done to try to solve the issue:
1. I reset the MSC-400 using the small button on the bottom. I've reset the MX-900 using it's menu. I then loaded completely new files.
2. I've checked the red receive light on the RFX-250 to ensure no interference.
3. I've tried two different MSC-400/RFX-250 combo's, (one from 2006, one from 2007). I'm not sure if this issue is revision related.
4. I've tried two different MX-900 remotes (one from 2007, one from 2008). I'm not sure if this issue is model specific.
5. I've checked the serial cable with a volt-ohm meter and have ensured that TX from the MSC-400 goes to RX on my test PC (running Hyperterminal) and that ground goes to ground. I also checked that RX went to TX on the PC.
6. I've physically moved the RFX-250 and MSC-400 (just in case it is interference which the light indicates its not)
7. I've verified that the button is being press all the way each time on the MX-900 as I enabled a press beep
8. I've checked nearly all hard and soft buttons on both MX-900s, they all result in skipped RS232 transmissions.
9. I'm using hyperterminal so I have an accurate count of good packet transmissions.

Temporary solution I've come up with that isn't good enough:
Create two smart macro groups from the same custom rs232 device in the MSC400 editor. Use the MX900 editor to toggle between these two smart macro triggers that send the same command by making a macro of variable type and inverting a variable called toggle on each press. Hyperteriminal shows this gives about 98% command accuracy. This isn't a good solution as it's limited to only one type of macro under the MX-900 editor (variable type). I'd like to be able to use the "on press hold" macro type with similar accuracy, and setting a toggle up each time I want to use RS232 is added work.

Preferred ways to reproduce the issue:
1. Use the latest MX900 editor and the latest MSC400 editor (goes without saying to use the same equipment as me)
2. Use your favorite terminal client to test the accuracy of the output (as outlined in the MSC-400 reference manual).
3. Ensure you set the MSC-400 up with at least one custom serial device. Define a couple commands that send test strings like "test" with a carriage return. Right click on the device so that the MSC-400 editor will auto generate a smart macro group for you. Bind the relevant smart macro trigger to a button using the MX-900 editor and the Universal Browser and use the "Normal" macro type.
4. Press the same button repeatedly every .75-1 seconds (that will "trigger" a smart macro to send the RS232 command), count the number of good transmission using the terminal client.

Last edited by etc6849 on February 4, 2011 12:19.
FREE Home Automation software called Premise: [Link: cocoontech.com]
[Link: cocoontech.com]

Hosting Services by ipHouse