The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 11 made on Friday January 21, 2011 at 14:29
Acamp76144
Long Time Member
July 2010
On January 19, 2011 at 18:00, sofa_king_CI said...

What are you talking about? The current Prodigy line doesn't have a GUI. Sure most systems have the Destiny template being used, but you can customize or buy or do whatever you want with the GUI.

The new PMC3 will have an on-screen GUI that is similiar to ADMS, but the current doesn't have on screen at all. If you just need a nice GUI on your PTX3 handhelds, make it however you want.

As for hacking freeware buggy systems together, yes they will get better and so will truly integrated systems. While they will work, they will also be buggy and likely never be much good to the average person out there.

Sonos is one of the easiest solutions out there to setup, yet clients still hire and pay us to make it not only look good installed, but also work properly. Mostly, people need help with their networks and media storage.

This is really a whole other discussion that I'll refrain from to avoid derailing the thread.

Sofa, I'm an end user, not a CI and I started this thread to discuss exactly this topic. As I said I'm going to go with a new Prodigy system but after recently starting to use XBMC its opened my eyes to what could be "cobbled together" and I began to question whether I am making the right decision.. Am I getting a massive amount more for the extra spend on Prodigy?

I'm fully aware that PMC2 doesn't have an OSD, I didn't say that it did. Your definition of what a Graphical User Interface is and mine must be different. To me using the graphical icons on a PTX3, PTL4 or the iphone/Ipad app is utilising a GUI?

I am aware that you pay to have these modified, but my point is why not make them look better to start with - it will sell more units for them (Crestron can clearly produce good looking interfaces eg Mobile Pro G - although this may be a conscious decision to stop Prodigy canabilising their upper ranges..)

Sonos is perfect example. The Ipad app looks great and will sell itself. You don't have to go and buy a skin so that it doesn't look like a Commodore 64 graphically. XBMC looks fantastic,is free and isn't buggy in my experience although it takes some work to set up, so isn't going to appeal to less tech savvy or time poor/cash rich consumers.

I agree that most people will still pay a CI to set everything up. I'm pretty tech savvy myself but will happily pay an expert to do his thing in the same way I will pay an accountant, mechanic etc.

My point is that access to the key features of these types of systems are becoming more and more main stream, reliable and cost effective. Crestron should be putting its best foot forward right now as one of the pioneers of the industry rather than intentionally hobbling (eg cant take music from a NAS, basic looking GUI) its "mass market" range..

Hosting Services by ipHouse