The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 46 made on Sunday January 2, 2011 at 12:55
Lowpro
Select Member
March 2004
With 316 slots still available in my 6th DVD changer it was looking like the end of the road for my DVD Juke activity as I had less than 1% free memory left in the remote. Spent the better part of last week working to free up some additional memory. The end result was more than I could have hoped for. I first focused on optimizing the file size of the PNG files used for my DVD cover images. With around 1,670 unique DVD cover images at 18kb or so each this was clearly the best place to start. Managed in this case to shave off at least 2-3kb per file which added up to quite a significant decrease in the size of my XCF. I then focused purely on taking steps in the editor to reduce the size of the XML file per the binary which eventually gets downloaded to the remote. In this case I focused on my "Disc Confirmation" pages as there are 2,400 pages total, 400 for each of my 6 DVD changers. Prior, each disc confirmation page contained 6 panels and 2 buttons. I've since relocated all common elements for these pages to my System Page retaining only the DVD cover image (button) and frame (panel) which is positioned on top of the DVD cover image for each page. I'm then using ProntoScript to populate the panels/buttons moved to the System Page which by default contain no images or text. This worked so well that I implemented the same for all of the DVD submenu pages and background images throughout my XCF. Now while this only reduced the size of my XCF by an additional 300kb or so, the resulting size of the binary downloaded to the remote was reduced substantially giving me another 5% free memory over the 13% I had already gained by reducing the size of the DVD cover images. End result, I now have 18% free memory in the remote! Needless to say I'm thrilled to no end as I'll now be able to continue adding new covers per my 6th DVD changer. That being said, I've updated my PackAndGo file accordingly which now includes several new background images for various activities, my custom X-Files DVD submenu pages, and control for the HD DVR and Samsung LCD display in my home office.

Last edited by Lowpro on August 22, 2013 22:37.
LP Related Links:
View my profile to access various
links to key posts and downloads.

Hosting Services by ipHouse