Up level
The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 5 made on Tuesday December 21, 2010 at 10:35
vbova27
July 2006
On December 14, 2010 at 04:43, erikduop said...
So I currently have a harmony 900 set up controlling all of my a/v equipment. I am basically entertaining the idea of replacing the remote with my iPad and iPhone. Can i get all the same functionality out of an iPad app? Right now I control my projector, htpc, ps3, and xbox 360 with the remote. I also control my room lighting which is ir based.

Yes...and No. There are many integration systems out there (I use Bitwise Controls) that feature very, very powerful platforms for using your iphone/ipad/itouch exactly the way you would had you owned a control system that featured a tablet controller, keypad, etc.

I myself market the product to my customers and charge them for programming, equipment and network calibration. This is NOT as simple as downloading some app that asks you for your equipment and attempts to control your home theater components using some silly gadget that you keep on your coffee table or mantle that exudes infra-red. This is a system that converts IP to IR, has serial capability, temperature sensing, soon-to-come two way, very powerful programming platform, ability to create and customize GUI, and a very quick and easy way to synchronize the device with the software from a PC or laptop. Furthermore, the range is pretty much as good as your network connection which can be pretty much as vast as your wired.

So it depends on how serious you are and if you are willing to have a professional integrate your apple device control system. You can also create HTML pages and use any touch screen or non-touch screen device running Windows on it. There are DIY versions of this in using global cache, etc, but not as polished and supported.

Vincent

Hosting Services by ipHouse