The following page was printed from RemoteCentral.com:

Login:
Pass:

Original thread:
Post 6 made on Saturday December 18, 2010 at 10:48
storman
Long Time Member
December 2010
Thanks everyone for the replies. Sorry for seeming like a jerk by not replying sooner. It's been a busy week what with after-hours support calls for my day job, my internet broadband bandwidth dropping down to dial-up speeds, yadda yadda yadda ! And then I couldn't logon here with my new account - something got messed up with my password so a few emails back and forth with Daniel and all is good.

Now, back on topic. Mistachy, thanks for the offer and I'll take you up on that.
And others, thanks for the confidence builders. Yeah, mine isn't real high right now. Problem is I'm so tired by the time I can get to this each night that I don't think my brain is working at 100 %.

I looked at the manual and CCP last night and I'm still confused about when,where and how to build my activities. I get step 1, creating Devices. It seems like maybe this is where I could create the Activities - if so, I haven't figured it out. Can someone explain how that is done and how devices and activities fit together ? I get the idea that one of the first things that needs to be done is to build and name the devices that this remote will control. Is it correct to think of them as the building blocks of the control system ? From there I see Activities as just ways of organizing selected functions and key commands from a mix of several devices in the user's AV system around the way those devices are actually used.

At this point in the game, my preplanning has been to write down each of the devices that are used in my HT and then all of the activities that I would like this remote to automate or facilitate for me. Next I'll map out which devices will be needed for each activity and what steps,inputs, and so on from each are needed to build a well functioning activity. I'll also be giving some thought as to which buttons from each device are really needed and which ones can be left off. I find that like most people, I have device remotes with a lot of buttons that seldom, if ever get used. Why clutter up a universal remote with every single one of them ?

I have more questions, but I'll leave at this for right now. For the moment, I'll get off the computer and sit down with pen and notepad and do some more preplanning. I've lived with my current setup for 3 years, so I have a good feel for how I use it and how I'd like it controlled to simplify and improve my own enduser experience. How does that sound ? Marketable enough ?

Thanks much !
Bill

Hosting Services by ipHouse